Looking for feedback!

Coordinator
Jan 19, 2011 at 1:59 AM

First, thank you for stopping by!

I'm curious about what people think of the project and would welcome any feedback. Do you use WPInfo? Did you try it and not like it? Why? Are there any features you'd like to see added?

I created the project for my own use and it's doing everything I need it to do at the moment but maybe I could make it even better thanks to your feedback.

Thanks!

Coordinator
Jul 12, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Hi!

Do you mean you need to be able to place the text to a specific location in pixels?

The reason I initially limited the options to one of the four screen corners is that with different resolutions a pixels location does not always adapt well. I won't be able to make any changes to the code until over a month from now so if you come up with a fix before then, please let me know!

Coordinator
Jul 13, 2011 at 8:52 AM

There is currently a hard coded margin for the text so it's not completely against the edge of the screen. For your purpose, you could just calculate the size of both horizontal and vertical margins based on a percentage and the current screen resolution. Eventually you could add some UI around it but even if you just hard code it for now that should get you going. This shouldn't be too big a change and it would work just fine with the existing code that anchors the text to a given corner.

Thanks for the compliments, my goal was to keep the bginfo features I liked and add what I was missing. PNG support was high on my list along with the ability to put image overlays with an alpha channel so they would look good regardless of the screen resolution.

Jul 29, 2011 at 7:23 AM

Hi,

Looks nice, i love the xml Settings file. Definitely potential ti replace BGInfo in Corporate Environment :-)

A few bugs:

• File-Preview does not work, only from toolbar
  • Overlays are not visible if no background image is used. (Could also be resized dynamically.

I'm looking for a program to replace BGInfo, because i want to dynamically change some settings like Background color, which is the big drawback of BGinfo (the Binary settings file).

So here my feature Requests (close to BGinfo feature list) for missing Data:

• Registy keys
  • Contents of Files,
  • WMI query
  • VB-Script
  • Powershell Script
  • Environment Variables
  • Ability to change logon wallpaper (also for win2k8R2
  • Further reduction of bit depth down to 16 colors (wasting memory on servers)

My BGInfo looks like this an should be replicated, but

<Machine Domain> \ <Host Name>	
IPs:	<IP-list>

NetAdapter:	<NetAdapter>
MAC:	<MAC>
NTP Server (<NTP Type>):	<NTP Server>

CPU (<POI_Bit>):	<CPU>
Memory:	<Memory>

<OSEdition>
Service Pack:	<Service Pack>
Last Boot Time:	<Boot Time>

User Name:	<Logon Domain>\<User Name>
Sessionname:	<SESSIONNAME> (<Snapshot Time>)
IE Version:	<IE Version>

<Content of a text file>

Sep 11, 2011 at 2:00 PM

We are looking for an alternative to bginfo as bginfo will not write to the Windows 7 initial logon screen background.

I am taking a look at wpinfo but we have App-V components installed (which provides a 'special' drive 'Q:' which cannot be accessed as normal), and we get an error when launching wpinfo.  I am also curious as to why exactly wpinfo would need access to any other drives at all during startup?  Surely it should only be looking to open it's own files from the directory from where it is launched..?

See the end of this message for details on invoking just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.
************** Exception Text **************System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'Q:\' is denied.   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)   at System.IO.__Error.WinIODriveError(String driveName, Int32 errorCode)   at System.IO.DriveInfo.get_AvailableFreeSpace()   at Ventajou.WPInfo.Program.GetTokens()   at Ventajou.WPInfo.MainForm.ShowMainForm(Object sender, EventArgs e)   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnShown(EventArgs e)   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.CallShownEvent()   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()

************** Loaded Assemblies **************mscorlib    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5446 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll----------------------------------------WPInfo    Assembly Version: 1.0.5.0    Win32 Version: 1.0.5.0    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/paulf/Downloads/WPInfo.exe----------------------------------------System.Windows.Forms    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5446 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll----------------------------------------System    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5447 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll----------------------------------------System.Drawing    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll----------------------------------------System.Xml    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll----------------------------------------System.Core    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.5420 built by: Win7SP1    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll----------------------------------------Accessibility    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll----------------------------------------System.Management    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll----------------------------------------System.Configuration    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll----------------------------------------
************** JIT Debugging **************To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for thisapplication or computer (machine.config) must have thejitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.The application must also be compiled with debuggingenabled.
For example:
<configuration>    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" /></configuration>
When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exceptionwill be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computerrather than be handled by this dialog box.

Coordinator
Sep 13, 2011 at 12:15 AM

WPInfo looks at all the drives available so it can return the available space, I'm guessing that's what is causing an issue here. I'll add some code to catch unexpected exceptions and we can see if the issue still occurs.

Coordinator
Sep 13, 2011 at 1:27 AM

paulf, please try version 1.0.6 (http://wpinfo.codeplex.com/releases/view/73267) and see if it works better.

Sep 13, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Thanks for that - it no longer crashes which is great.

Are there any plans to allow display of environment variables and MAC addresses? 

Sep 13, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Now I'm able to load it I'm experimenting - I notice that I can save as a JPG file, however the file does not appear to be compressed when saved (it's exactly the same size as if I save as a BMP). This will cause problems for Windows 7 as the pre-logon wallpaper must be smaller than 256kb.  Is this something you plan to implement? ;)

Nov 10, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Hi,

We have an issue with it at the moment where the wallpaper displayed is not set to screen resolution on Windows 7 when you have multiple monitors. Single monitor it works perfectly but dual its almost as if it doubles the size of the wallpaper and only part of it is displayed on each screen.

I haven't checked this with windows XP yet.

Any ideas?

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Fantastic application! Things I love...

• Ability to automatically select correct image depending on res
  • Ability to select transparency of the background text box
  • Ability to overlay images easily (had to use two .bgi files in BGInfo, bit of a pain)

Things I'd like to see added...

• Ability to change the width of the background text box
  • More options for what to do on secondary monitors (bit of a deal breaker for me, so logged as an issue)
  • Bit more functionality for text editing, e.g. text highlighting (although, doing it in a text editor and pasting into WPInfo works fine)

Keep up the fine work.